Reading Room Bonvilston

The Reading Room

The Reading Room was given to the village around 1900 by Arabella MacIntosh wife of The Mackintosh of Mackintosh who lived for part of the year in Cottrell House. The aim was to give the boys and men of the village somewhere to go and read the newspapers. It wasn't until 1945 that girls were accepted as members. In order to accomodate the widening of the A48 the room was moved to its present position in 1936.

The room underwent a major refurbishment in 1982 without which it is very likely the facility would have been lost.

 

 

Facilities

Reading Room Kitchen Reading Room Main HallReading Room Main Hall
Kitchen
Main Hall
Main Hall